Sunday, May 22, 2011

Overcoming Fear


The other night I had a dream that I decided to self published my novel on a whim, just to see what would happen. In the dream I started getting reviews-and they weren’t good. The 1 star reviews started to pile up, much to my horror. Luckily it was just a dream.

I think a lot of people share this kind of fear. There’s always that voice somewhere in the back of our heads telling us we aren’t good enough. No matter what praise we’re given, people tend to only focus on the negative. So how do we push through it and keep moving forward?

For me, I have to remind myself that giving up will get me nowhere. Successful authors are often the ones who kept trying even after hundreds of rejection letters and touch criticism. Sometimes that criticism even pushes them to work harder.

Ultimately, I love the characters and world I’ve created and I want to share that world with other people. That love is the driving force behind my quest for publication.

I want to know what pushes you to keep writing. What makes you write?  And how do you move forward in the face of adversity?

No comments:

Post a Comment